2021-06-07

Of keys and gates (2)

Since the copy of Sloane 3825 I'm using at the moment has large sections that are completely unreadable, I'm not current in a position to make my own transcription of the Magick Gate Unbarr'd (Janua Magica Reserata), which means that I'm working from someone else's (very much in copyright) edition; hence, while I have found a number of readings I disagree with in sections I *have* been able to check, I won't be publishing the actual text any time soon (i.e. unless & until I can get my own copy of the microfilm & make better prints from it, or the BL digitises the original & puts it online).  What I have been able to do is to redraw some of the seals of the Archangels, which also gave me a reason to start learning a new vector graphics program (the dodgy copy of Corel Draw that I was using way back doesn't work on any version of Windows from the past decade).  Followeth those I've done so far:

* * *

* * *

Those of you who have Adam McLean's Treatise on Angel Magic, which contains part of the Janua, will note that these are totally different to the designs in that work.  While Peter Smart, the scribe of Harley 6482, could write the square Hebrew letters better than many writers or copyists of magical MSS. of the period (and thus never, for example, rendered the Tetragrammaton as רהרה, RAHRAH), and also understood how the system of vowel points worked -- his other known writings include a copy of a text on Hebrew grammar and pronunciation -- he introduced multiple mis-spellings, most of which are explicable by him not knowing the original orthography of the names and back-transliterating them into pointed Hebrew from Romanized forms; thus we see spurious extra alephs in the -iah Angels of the Shem ha-Mephorash, Chokmah (חכמה) written הוחמא, Sabaoth (צבאות) as שבות, &c.

Meanwhile I'm gradually getting the hang of Elias Ashmole's scrawl — hey, at least it's not a 16th-century secretary hand — and plodding through the additional text sections of the Janua in Sloane 3824.  That and trying to identify the cribs from "Dr. French his translation of Cornelius Agrippa his Occult Philosophy" that E.A., not having the luxury of a digitised copy of the text with a Ctrl+F function, missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment