2010-10-11

In Man we Trust (3)

The complete re-set of Dr. Thomas Inman's Ancient Faiths Embodied in Ancient Names has now been uploaded to Scribd.
Vol. 1
Vol. 2
It appears, looking at the date stamps on some of the workfiles, that I started on this re-set over six years ago; that I ever finished it can only really be attributed to some bizarre kind of intellectual sadomasochism. While I could fill many pages with detailed pedantic criticisms of the Doctor's methods and conclusions, I doubt anyone is interested; even in his own time Inman does not seem to have ever been taken very seriously away from the fringe, and 140 years of archæological discoveries around the peoples, languages and religions of the ancient Near East have shown many of his conjectures to be at best ingenious but wrong. Instead I will once again direct readers to the comments I made on another blog last year.

Doubtless there are many uncorrected OCR errors in the above documents; but right now I really can't face giving them even another skimming over.

No comments:

Post a Comment