2010-08-27

O circule stellarum . . .

For C.H.B. -- just uploaded my Latin translation of the Gnostic Mass to Scribd. Earlier versions of this have been webposted on the now-defunct Nu Isis Working Group site (mirrored here), on Hermetic Library's EGC pages, and on the OpenBuddha blog. The posted copy is set out for printing onto A4 for ritual use, and as such has the rubric entirely in the original English and only has the short list of Saints (largely because I never finished Latinising the long list).

In writing it I had in mind the reconstructed classical Latin pronunication that can be found in Latin dictionaries and grammars. The rendition of the Anthem, though, makes no pretence at any Latin verse metre; treat it as if it were English iambic pentameter. I am still far from satisfied by my rendition of the Quia Patris.

In accordance with the short comment on The Book of the Law I am not going to discuss issues of interpretation arising from my translation of quotations from Liber Legis in the Mass. This does not extend to correction of simple grammatical errors.

To my knowledge, this ritual has been performed twice, the first time being by AVoD Oasis OTO in March 2005. There are currently tentative plans for a third performance at the Gnosis IVxviii gathering later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment