2009-10-17

Somewhat off topic, but . . .

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Back in July, I mentioned that the hard part would be deciding what I was going to do about the Nu Isis Working Group.

For those of you unfamiliar with this:

As some of you may be aware, and other may have managed to work out, I am and have been for some years, affiliated with a fraternal society known as the O.T.O., which like any other enterprise involving more than one person, occasionally suffers from internal politics.

In 2000 or 2001, I can't actually remember, the official local group of the society in Leeds, known as Sunwheel Oasis, was closed down due to the person who ran it having resigned from O.T.O. and none of the other local members being suitable to take over running it. The Nu Isis Working group was established as "a provisional O.T.O. working group," i.e. an unofficial ad hoc body to keep activity going in the city until such time as a new official body could be established. Owing to a certain amount of bitterness on my own part, the name was lifted from the "New Isis Lodge," established in 1955 as an O.T.O. group under a charter which was revoked by the then head of the order shortly after he read their initial proclamation.

In practice NIWG turned into three or four people meeting in someone's living room, and myself maintaining (after a fashion) a website on Geocities with assistance from the other members (mainly in the form of letting me use their Internet connection, I only got broadband myself a couple of years ago). Meetings ceased after about a year, if that, but the website staggered on and apparently managed to get a reputation as a useful resource.

Unfortunately, I got largely sick of maintaining it some years ago. With the exception of a couple of pages of links (not including the main "links" page which is something of a joke), I generally only edited it when specific mistakes were pointed out to me. Anyway, earlier this year, the Yahoo! corporation finally decided that Geocities was based on a problematic business model and gave notice that they were closing it. This blog was one consequence thereof; but the way I was running the C.P. site was more suited to the blog format than the NIWG site.

To get to the point.

I haven't decided what I'm doing with / about the NIWG site, but since there seems to be a reasonable level interest in the site continuing to exist, I haven't definitely decided to let it stay dead. nu-isis.blogspot.com will be used for any annoucements.

Love is the law, love under will.
T.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment